Street Plan of Worthing c1830
Shows Warwick House and gardens, Wortley House, Marine Library, Sea House Hotel, and New Town (built c1820s on what is now Clifton Road). Interestingly, Union Place is called Union Street, which there is no reference to it ever being called. It is not as detailed as the 1826 / 1832 Wallis plans, but is charmingly coloured in watercolour. The Worthing Map Story does not make any mention of this plan, but it does refer to the early street plans as not always being perfectly accurate, as they were usually copied from each other. This does make dating the plan an inexact science, as the absence of a building does not mean that it was not there at the time. It appears to be earlier than the Broadwater Tithe Map of 1848, and is later than the early 1820s, as it shows Ambrose Place. The northern section of Chapel Road (Teville Road to Winton Place - Bo-Peep Lane at time, and unmarked) is called North Street, a name it lost in 1836. The western end of Montague Street is described as Cross Lane, a name it retained until c1820 (it is Montague Street on the 1826 Wallis plan). The lack of detail on this map compared to the 1814 and 1826 plans does not necessarily mean that it is earlier than either of these, as there are buildings on this plan that date it to the late 1820s, early 1830s.
Printed Maps Collection
West Sussex Record Office Ref No: PM 929
© West Sussex County Council - All Rights Reserved